Tips On Talking About Yourself

Bragging is a part of the business. Well, as long as you do it right. (No one likes an asshole, remember)

You're going to have to learn how to talk (write) about yourself in the most appealing and interesting way to get the attention of creative recruiters and creative directors.

Why should they read your email? Why should they talk to you? Same goes for your LinkedIn profile and website's About Me section. How can you use these areas to showcase your personality, skills, accomplishments and interests?

I've previously written about What's So Special About You? with a few tips to help you stand out of the creative crowd. And Why Should Someone Hire You? with more tips on how to sell yourself. And also check out How To Show Off Without Looking Like A Show Off t

Another blog I follow, ProfessorAdMan, had a great post today that I thought would be helpful to yall too.


"I'm eager..."

"I'm a fast learner..."


Those are qualities most of us look for in a pet, not an advertising professional.

In your cover letter, you only have a few words to make a quick impression, so don't waste them.

1. Open up with a memorable fact about yourself. Create a mystique that will make people say,"I really have to meet this person. For example: "As a former pro wrestler, no one knows how to market more outrageously than I do..."

It doesn't have to be that over the top, but everyone has something intriguing that makes them stand above the rest. (Yes, I know a former wrestler who now works in event marketing- perfect choice, if you ask me.) So use your unique qualities to your advantage. (And if you don't think you're unique, you need more help than I can offer.)

2. Stay focused on quick examples that make you an ideal candidate. And don't be afraid to bullet some quick facts:
  • Our last campaign surpassed our goal of a 10 percent increase in sales by an additional 25 percent
  • 2011 Mobius award winner
  • 2010 Employee of the year
3. Leave them wanting more. "I look forward to telling you about my contribution that helped my last agency land a $53 million account." If they call you in, you now have a great icebreaker during your interview.

Apply some new tricks to your cover letter. Don't let your potential get lost in the usual dogged descriptions.