Summertime Christmas

Most agencies start working on holiday advertising campaigns in the summer. Which is confusing because it's 90 degrees and the last thing on your mind is snow and fat men in Santa suits.

But it's one of those things you have to learn to do. To remove yourself from who and where you are and put your mind in a different time and mind frame.

You may be a white dude from Canada and end up working on multicultural campaigns for an American retailer. Or in my case, be a black girl from the Caribbean and a staunch anti-smoker who ended up working on a tobacco brand in Asia. (I told myself if I could sell something I hate then I can sell anything. But it started to feel more like I was selling my soul so I had to get out. I kinda like this soul.)

You are going to have to learn to research and relate differently.

Read as much as you can.

Reach out to the actual target market. Follow up with planners to get info on who they are, what they do, what they like and how they live.

Relate to them. You're not going to be the target for 80% of the things you're going to work on. You're going to have to learn to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

Start practicing this now.

Make sure your book has a range of brands as well as a range of voices and targets. 

Do something targeting seniors, Hispanics, moms, dogs... anything you're not.

Show that you can think differently and truly sell anything.