Back2Work: I hate my partner

What do you do with 120-200 lbs of dead weight? 


You're going to hate me for this one, but the simple answer is: Deal with it.




When you have a partner who is not doing their part it is the most frustrating thing.

And even more frustrating is being stuck with that person - whether for a semester at school or at a job. 



But it's just one of those things you have to deal with and grow through.


I've had a partner that only worked in Photoshop. One that would decide the project wasn't important enough for his time. One that I had to draw everything out for first. One who told me to figure everyone out and then just give him the copy to lay out. One that always ended up putting typos in our ads even though I clearly said to just copy and paste everything from my Word doc. And one gem who would sit and concept with me but then only mock up his ideas.

Good times. 



I'm not gonna lie. I've crawled into a bathroom stall and cried a few times. I've also plotted putting pencil shavings in someone's food. 


When you have to rely on someone else to help you create something, and they suck, it hurts.





But it didn't kill me. (And I didn't kill anyone.) 



Now I can work in Photoshop and inDesign. I have a better design eye and can draw a mean thumbnail. I have  friends or colleagues I can reach out to to bounce ideas off. I know how to grin and bare it like anybody's business. 


You still have to go up and say "our idea" even though you're the one who came up with it. 

And you have to accept the praise and criticism together, even if you're the one who did 90% of it. 

And you can't go whining to every and anybody about your piece of shit partner because that makes you look like a whiny, needy brat. (Sucks for you. Twice.)


Use this time to sharpen your skills. 
Work on writing if you're an art director or art direction if you're a copywriter.
Work on biting your tongue. 
Learn to negotiate, barter, bride, beg. (Whatever it takes to get your partner to do what you need. People rarely change. You have to adjust yourself to make the best out of bad situations.) 
Take notes for the kind of partner you really want/need and look for that person. (Read my post on Picking A Partner)


And remember, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. And this won't kill you. (Another one of my life mottos)







So get to work.