What Would You Do?

What would you do if you were in the room for this speech? 

I can't say that I've actually seen Glengarry GlenRoss but we're all familiar with the term "Always be closing." 

My old boss had sent me this clip during our talks about me joining his team. I watched it three or four times. I googled the transcript and read that a few times. 

Then I wrote my resignation letter. 

I was reminded of it again reading 6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You A Better Person and the author quoted a piece talking about the three responses people usually have to it. 



Would it: 
1. Motivate you. "Welcome the coach's cursing at you, 'This guy is awesome!'"
2. Offend you. "Take it personally, 'This guy is a jerk. You have no right to talk to me like that.'"
3. Make you vengeful. "Quietly seethe and fantasize about finding information that will out him as a hypocrite."

At some point or another, your boss, partner or client may say things along these lines. Trust me, it'll happen at some point in the hustle and bustle of business.  

I'm not justifying or recommending assholish behaviour - you know how anti-asshole I am - but I'm just pointing out the inevitable. Sometimes people don't say please or thank you, or phrase things the way you'd like. You're not a kid anymore and you won't be handled with kid gloves. 

There'll be the locker room inspirational speeches, of course. But there will also be verbal kicks in the butt. 

How you respond to it is up to you.



This was on the wall in the ROTC office where I did work-study during college.
I absolutely love it.